After
an amazing weekend in France and visiting the highest mountain in Europe, Mont
Blanc, my “official” journey started today as my host dropped me off at the
Geneva Welcome Center. Completely unaware of what to do as I was left alone at
the center, I started to panic and pretended to read some pamphlets on the
table. After several minutes of thinking what to do, I finally mustered up the
courage to go to the assistance desk and ask for help.
“Excuse
me?”
“Oui”
“Do
you speak English?”
“A
little bit, what do you need?”
“I
am a student from America and I was wondering if I can get some assistance in
getting some information on different international organizations and how I can
get there.”
Her
response was a blank stare as she slowly responded
“I
will guide you to another person, come follow me.”
“Thank
you” I replied.
The welcome center was not as
big as I expected. It was a cozy, European style house and definitely
the place felt a lot different
than I thought it would be. The offices were set up just like my room
at Webb except it was a lot
bigger.
“How may I help you?”
Then I explained to the man
about what I came here for and he gave me some links to different
organizations and some
pamphlets that I could read for useful information about the city. Although,
it
wasn’t the kind of assistance that I was looking for, it was a start. Then I
headed back home to read the information he gave me and decided to make a
schedule for myself so that I wasn’t randomly wandering around in Geneva. I
wanted to make my visit to Geneva worthwhile and learn as much as possible
before I headed back to Korea. I knew it wasn’t going to be an easy three
weeks, but I was ready for the upcoming challenge. I spent the rest of my day
setting particular goals for myself like setting which places what I wanted to
visit and what I was hoping to get out of these experiences. Much didn’t happen
today but I knew my journey had already started and it was a matter of time
before time flew by.
No comments:
Post a Comment