Feeling a little adventurous today, I decided to embark
on an hour journey to CERN, which is the European Organization for Nuclear
Research. It wasn’t until later on that day when I found out that I was present
during a monumental moment in scientific history. Nicknamed as “god’s
particle”, the Higgs
Bosom is said to be the key to understanding the very beginning of the universe
tracing back to the Big Bang. Although the theory behind it was too complex for
me to understand, I truly enjoyed the exhibitions and learned a lot about the
intricacies behind physics of the universe. Ever since I was young, I was
intrigued by the possible theories of the origin of everything and read many books
on the mysteries of the universe. However, when it came to down to real life
physics and the formulaic physics
class at school, I was utterly disappointed by its boring nature. The complex
formulas and concepts just sounded like an alien language from another planet.
I tried really hard to memorize and enjoy physics as I used to, but it just
wouldn’t register in my mind. I spent hours doing my AP Physics homework,
grabbing my hair and moaning in frustration while other students took only an
hour of hard thinking to finish. Eventually, I grew tired of physics and
started to lose interest. But today, my visit to CERN rekindled my long lost
enthusiasm for physics and I was truly intrigued reading the information in the
exhibition. The exhibition also provided visual documentaries that added to the
fun. What was really cool was the “Galileo” globe that was across the road from
CERN that showcased mechanical parts of the LHC particle accelerator at CERN.
Furthermore, the exhibition had a ball shaped sofa that one could snuggle in
and listen to a brief lecture on the mysteries of the universe. To be honest, I
dozed off for a bit because the sofa was too comfy and the room was dimly lit. After
relaxing for a good hour of snuggling and “learning”, I headed back to grab
lunch.
I was on my
way back when a familiar word grabbed my sudden attention. This word surprised
me so much that I blankly stared at it as the bus passed by it. This word was 밥 which means food or rice in
Korean. I did not expect a Korean restaurant to be in the middle of the city,
but it had quite a few customers going in for lunch. So I got off at the next
stop and decided to drop by for some lunch. A familiar smell wafted into my
nose as I stepped in and I was happy that I had the chance to eat my
traditional food in a foreign country. After days of eating Western food, I
missed the warm rice and Korean side dishes that I used to eat. This also
reminded me of how much Korea has
stepped into the international world, making its name known through
technological and economical advancements. I thought that even a few years ago,
I could not imagine a Korean restaurant in Geneva where they even barely spoke
English. Korea and other Asian countries were slowly becoming global powers and
it made me proud that my country was leading this progress in a way. Whenever I
see anyone carrying a Samsung phone or see an LG television in restaurants, I
cannot help but think that those devices originated from Korea. It was quite amazing
how fast we developed when a decade ago, Korea faced an IMF crisis and the
whole country was in economic turmoil. I believe that this is just the
beginning that Korea started to become an international country. There is much
potential for all these developing Asian countries and soon enough I think that
we will all become stronger and more involved global countries in the soon
future.
The spicy
stir-fried pork was delicious. Although I expected it to be a little
westernized, the authentic taste surprised me and I savored every last piece of
it. With a satisfied stomach, I stepped outside as I was determined to resume
my journey throughout the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment