As
cliché as it may sound, the Internet and recent telecommunication systems in
recent years have revolutionized how we interact with others and it is
impossible to imagine living without these systems. The Internet has become
such an indispensable part in the global world because it connected many
countries around the world closer than ever. We are able to send messages and
files across the seas in seconds and not to mention that we are updated every
second of what is going on globally. The ITU (International Telecommunication
Union) standardizes the communication system so that countries are able to
interact more easily and allows more remote countries to access information as
well. Today, I visited the headquarters of the ITU for a scheduled personal
tour around the museum. My tour guide was an official employee at ITU who
earned the job through an internship a few years ago. As his former job, he
worked at a company name Daum, which is a Korean search engine and applied to an
internship at ITU because he wanted to be involved with technology in a global
scale. Because of his astounding work ethic, the ITU gave him an official job in
the Standardization department. From his background story, he epitomizes the
fact that hard work pays off in the end and inspired me to do my best as well.
Samsung sponsored the ITU museum and so
visitors received a Galaxy Tab for the audio explanations. I thought the museum
was well designed because it had some really cool artifacts like the replica of
the Sputnik and the model of the first telephone. From the very beginning of
communication through different forms of glyphs to futuristic communication
technologies, I realized how essential communication is in our daily lives,
making the responsibilities of the ITU all the more crucial. One cool fact I
learned was that the Titanic tragedy could have been mitigated if communication
got through easily. The nearest ship from the Titanic could have rescued many
more had the communication crew been awake, which highlights the importance of
communication in any conditions. Also, the Titanic radio operator sent a
message saying “CQD” instead of the standardized “SOS” message calling for
help. The nearest ship, not knowing what CQD meant, took some time figuring out
what it meant, but it was too late when they finally sent for help. This
highlights the importance of standardization for codes as well since
communicating would be much harder if people used different codes to mean
something. The ITU prevents all the obstacles like these from happening by
standardizing codes to mean a certain thing and allows communication to be
available 24/7.
After looking around the museum, I started
to reflect upon my journey so far and thought that time flew by so fast. All
the excitement of visiting different organizations, and all the difficulties of
travelling alone by myself have culminated in a rare experience that evolved me
as a person. I never expected to survive in a French speaking country where I
was a minority among mostly white and black people. To be honest, it was quite
scary to step outside my comfort zone, but I was glad to have come this far and
learned so much about what I wanted to do in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment